Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Dreading the Editing


March 12, 2014

 

Dreading the Editing

That moment hits you when you have finally finished the novel. The first draft of one, anyway. Blood, sweat, and tears labored over this piece of art. This is the calm before the storm. The editing process is the hardest part for me. As they say, we are our own worst critics. I hate picking apart something I fell in love with, but it is true as Stephen King said we must “kill your darlings.”

I have a process I go through, a ritual perhaps, as I enter the world of editing. I assume most writers do this kind of thing too. There is always method to the madness.

Phase one-You did it

You’ve finished your novel, you feel euphoria. Now, take your manuscript and print it out hardcopy. Hide it. That’s right, out of sight out of mind, put it away and don’t think about it for a week.  Once the week is up, prepare to spend many nights alone focused solely on the book. It will be like a time capsule. And many cool ideas come to mind as you get deeper into the story.

Invest in Post-its. These little babies make your life so much easier. You can color code them, mark off a note in a chapter, good for note taking, green for dialogue, and of course, my favorite, the storyboard. Writings, pictures, chapters, anything goes.

I have a special red pen I use on the hard marks editing. This is where you write in the columns of the printed manuscript. I do all my hard editing first, and then I like to tackle it chapter by chapter on the computer.  Everybody has their own way.

Quiet time is essential to your success as a writer. This proves to be difficult in a house of five, so I have been working the Vampire Hours to get a good chunk of me time. I like writing when it’s dark and quiet. I have a pretty eclectic playlist for this project. Music makes creating art so much more intimate.

Phase two- the Rewrite

Tackle this write chapter by chapter and stay true to your red pen editing. As you start to flow, keep in mind that sometimes the characters call the shots in your journey.

That’s about as far as I’ve got. I am still in the rewrite process. But writing is a journey and it is a spectacular ride.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! @Sunflowerrei here, leaving the blog chain info. Let me know if you want to do it!

    Step One: you send me a short bio of about 50-75 words and a low-res photo that I can use in my blog to link to you. I need this by Sunday April 13 so that I can put your link in my blogpost on Monday April 14.

    Step Two: Answer these four questions about your writing process. 1) What am I working on? 2) How does my work differ from others of its genre? 3) Why do I write what I do? 4) How does my writing process work?

    Step Three: Your blogposts incorporating these answers needs to go live on Monday April 21. In it, please acknowledge me and mention my blog ( http://sunflowerrei.blogspot.com) for involving you in the blog tour.

    Step Four: In your post you must also say who will be taking part the week after you do – choose three writers. Give a 1-2 line bio and link to their website.

    You can send the information to me by email.

    ReplyDelete